Pierce College: Basic Skills Initiative
2009-2010 Mission and Goals
by the Pierce College Student Success Committee
The Pierce College Student Success Committee is dedicated to identifying and supporting students in need of essential math, reading, writing, ESL, study, and learning skills necessary for retention and success in college level work. Timely, relevant, and effective instructional and support services will be developed and implemented to provide each student with basic competencies applicable to lifelong success.
2010 - 2011 Action and Expenditure Plan: Click Here
2010 - 2011 Report and 2011 - 2012 Action and Expenditure Plan: Click Here
How to Apply for BSI Funding
1. Through Student Services, increase access to, support for, and retention of basic skills students.
2. Create a data- driven profile of basic skills needs at Pierce College through an ongoing cycle of examining existing data and generating new inquiry. That profile should be used to inform the campus-wide ongoing college planning cycle.
3. Support the expansion of the Center for Academic Success as the campus focal point for academic support for students.
4. Strengthen and support the existing professional development efforts by providing faculty and staff with cohesive, ongoing learning opportunities to enhance students' basic skills leading to their success in all course work.
5. Increase student success and retention in math, English, and ESL courses by promoting innovative programs as well as teaching and learning strategies based on proven effective methods.
6. Develop sound instructional practices that increase math, reading, writing, ESL, study and learning skills across the curriculum, including in Career and Technical Education areas.
Create and Maintain Learning Communties
Summer BridgeASAPAccelerated EnglishStatway
Enhance the Center for Academic Success
Reading Plus software Tutoring in English, math, and chemistryCourse embedded tutoringSuccess workshopsLearning Skills coursesClassroom presentationsDirected Learning ActivitiesOnline Writing Lab
Provide and Foster Professional Development
Conferences/Training: 3CSN, Reading Apprenticeship,
Student Success, etc.
Spring Convocation and fall Opening Day
FIG: Reading Apprenticeship
Achieving the Dream
Ongoing evaluations of Student Success programs and services
Contextualize Basic Skills Instruction
Classroom Success Workshop SeriesAuto/Math and Auto/English
Child Development/English and Child Development/Math
Kurzweil – Smtxt
Create and Maintain Student Support Systems
Online advisement systemComputerized assessment systemStudent Equity Plan
Emerging Scholars at Pierce