Pierce College: Basic Skills Initiative
2009-2010 Mission and Goals
by the Pierce College Student Success Committee
The Pierce College Student Success Committee is dedicated to identifying and supporting students in need of essential math, reading, writing, ESL, study, and learning skills necessary for retention and success in college level work. Timely, relevant, and effective instructional and support services will be developed and implemented to provide each student with basic competencies applicable to lifelong success.
How to Apply for BSI Funding
1. Through Student Services, increase access to, support for, and retention of basic skills students.
2. Create a data- driven profile of basic skills needs at Pierce College through an ongoing cycle of examining existing data and generating new inquiry. That profile should be used to inform the campus-wide ongoing college planning cycle.
3. Support the expansion of the Center for Academic Success as the campus focal point for academic support for students.
4. Strengthen and support the existing professional development efforts by providing faculty and staff with cohesive, ongoing learning opportunities to enhance students' basic skills leading to their success in all course work.
5. Increase student success and retention in math, English, and ESL courses by promoting innovative programs as well as teaching and learning strategies based on proven effective methods.
6. Develop sound instructional practices that increase math, reading, writing, ESL, study and learning skills across the curriculum, including in Career and Technical Education areas.